Monday, July 24, 2006

The sun is out, birds are singing, bees are trying to have sex with them -- as is my understanding ...

So, went to Universe Games with Ben last night, and we played a bunch of board/card games, such as: Lord of the Fries, Who Killed Dr. Lucky?, Guillitine, Brawl (which I just bought my own deck for - a Tess one, to be specific, which has a bazillion hits but no presses :p), and Munchkin. Actually, I just watched Ben and his friends play Munchkin, because I've never played it before and even if I had I don't think I would have been able to. Freaking hardest game ever to understand.

Erm...watched Spice World tonight. Surprisingly, it was a lot funnier now than it was when I used to watch it every single week when I was younger. I actually got all of the jokes and stuff that I was totally oblivious to when I was little, and recognized more of the bazillion cameos in it. For example; the last time I watched this (which was probably in third grade), I had no idea who Meatloaf was, and upon watching the movie tonight, discovered that he played the bus driver in the movie for the Spice Bus. LAWL.

I've actually been watching a lot of movies that I've already seen this weekend. I watched Pride and Prejudice again, which I believe is the fourth time that I've watched it since I bought it. I'm actually thinking of putting it in while I lay in bed tonight and fall asleep watching it. I teh heart Matthew Macfayden, of course. (Whom I should really be kissing in that picture.) I also watched Corpse Bride again with Ben, and I have to say that I found it funnier the second time. Ben enjoyed it as well. And, I also watched Garden State again last night. Or rather, early this morning, since I didn't get to bed until 4:30 again. (Go figure.) I had forgotten how much I love that movie. Every single person seems like they were made for their role, and I love how it's completely and utterly realiztic and raw, and can still be funny and emotional and entertaining. And it's full of amazing quotes and lines, which are perfect for monologues. Yes, I would know. ^_^

I also watched North Country with my mom today, which was highly depressing, but excellent. It was really sad and horrible, but I admire the women that the movie was based on for their courage, and things ended up okay at the end. Hey, what can I say - I like happy endings! But seriously, it's hard to imagine that a thing like that can happen at all, let alone just a mere twenty or so years ago, and even more so that it happened in Minnesota. I mean, you see movies like this a lot, but somehow I'm always able to find a small fraction of comfort in the fact that "my people" (Lord, now I sound like I'm some civil rights activist...or Moses...^_^) never did any of this. But to sit there and see that these things happened in a place where I'm from (okay, so I'm not from the Iron Range, but I'm from Minnesota) is kind of hard to watch. It makes me feel a lot worse knowing that it happened here, even though none of it was my fault and I couldn't have prevented any of it from happening anyway. *sigh* Such is life... Regardless, it was still a good movie.

I'm still working on The Magician's Nephew, but I've also started reading a few short stories by Richard Matheson. He is the genius behind I Am Legend, one of my favorite books ever, and definitely my favorite vampire novel. Oh, and I just started reading The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie. It's a book filled with a collection of short stories that "brilliantly weaves memory, fantasy, and stark realism to paint a complex, grimly ironic portrait of life in and around the Spokane Indian Reservation," according to the back of the book. ^_^ So far, I've only gotten through the first story, titled Every Little Hurricane, but it was amazing, and I am looking forward to reading more.

Well, that's probably about it for now. I have gotten through posting some of my Kosovo pics on my deviantART account, which can be found on the appropriate link on the right side there, and will probably finish with my London ones tomorrow. Other than that, I think that's it. I will talk to yous all later!

"Look, I love those girls, and I'd do anything for them. But I won't do that." ~Meatloaf in Spice World. Can we say LAWL REFERENCE?!

No comments: