Wednesday, July 12, 2006

They turned the Navy into a floating joke. They ruined all our best names like Bruce and Lance and Julian. Those were the toughest names we had!

Well, it's been a little while since I've posted on here (which is why you should be prepared for a horrendously long post). But between Kosovo, catching up with people, and working on late English homework that I still have to finish from this past year, I've been kinda busy. Oh, and reading fanfiction too, of course. Can't forget that. Nope.

Anyway, Kosovo was, in lamest terms, amazing. Probably one of the best experiences of my entire life. I learned so much there and got to know so many people. It was just fabulous! ^_^ Considering I am using my brother's computer now and don't have any of the pictures on it, I can't post them yet, but I will eventually. Not like anyone reads this thing anyway, but whatever...

I brought Inkheart with me to Kosovo, though only ended up reading a little bit of it on the way over, and maybe a chapter or two on the way back. However, I took it up to my trailer with me this past weekend and finished it all there, and I have to say that it was pretty amazing. The plotline was incredible, and I loved how Funke kept the whole fantasy thing realistic. Most fantasy books take place in a totally different world that suits the whole "fantasy" mood, and the ones that actually do take place here normally alter reality so much or place a different "world," so to speak, in our own world (such as in Harry Potter where there is the Wizarding World which is located within the rest of the Muggle World) that it doesn't feel as though it's a part of our world at all. Which is okay, because that's normally what makes fantasy fantasy, and since I'm the "fantasy goddess," that's not really a big deal. But in Inkheart, things are quite the opposite. The whole book takes place not only on our own planet, but in our own "world." Yet it still has fantasy elements in it. It's sort of refreshing to have something that seems to deny the rules of its genre, and take a complete step away from the norm. Also, the book is about books, one book in particular which Inkheart was named after, which is sort of odd but very cool if you ask me. The characters are really well-developed and everything, too, and I love that they are not always so typical, either. And the book is full of absolutely amazing quotes, too. Overall, the book was fantastic and I am wanting to go right out an buy the sequel.

I also watched the new Chronicles of Narnia movie. I had, as mentioned earlier on here, bought the special edition before going to Kosovo, but didn't have time to watch it. However, we ended up watching it in Kosovo anyway, so it was all good. As far as my opinion on the movie, I thought that it was really good, and think that it's probably tied with the original. When I first watched it, I thought the original was way better, but then I went back and watched it when I got home, and decided that the new one was just as good. I had forgotten about the terribly cheesy animations for the magical creatures in it. All I have to say about those is LAWL. I happen to prefer the White Witch in the original - in fact, my first thought when I saw the new one was, "HOLY CRAP! SHE'S EVEN SCARIER LOOKING THAN THE FIRST ONE!" Although, when thinking about it, I may have liked the first one better because she was more ridiculous and had a much colder and scarier air about her, while in the new one, she seemed to be a lot more "gentle." Granted, in some parts, she was supposed to be gentle, but I still liked the way the original White Witch did it better. I also thought the beaver's in the new one were kick arse. Seriously, real beavers?! AWESOME!!! The best was when he was wearing the armor. I almost pissed my pants laughing at that... And I also like Tumnus way better in this one. He wasn't as old and it didn't seem as weird when he befriended Lucy. Not to mention the fact that the guy who played him wasn't entirely bad looking, or the fact that he wasn't wearing a shirt. I mean...

Well, nothing else to talk about, I guess. Pathetic, really - I haven't watched any new movies or read any other books besides those since I got home. Although I am reading the Chronicles of Narnia now. I had only read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and even that was quite some time ago, so I'm reading the whole series now. Currently reading The Magician's Nephew, since that's the first book in Lewis' preferred order, so yeah. Um...oh, been doing a bit more writing. More like drabble-type writing, but if you want to check any of it out, go here, and you'll be able to find it. w00t.

Well, since I've already posted a bajillion words, I'll shut up and go read some more fanfiction. Because I am a nerd. Yes.

~Caitlin

My dad's always there/To open all my doors/You have to call a patronus just to catch a glimpse of yours/My mom says she loves me/When she tucks me into bed/How's your mommy doing in the Mirror of Erised?//My dad is rich/And your dad is dead/My dad is rich and your dad is dead
~ My Dad is Rich, Draco and the Malfoys

No comments: